A few months ago, I decided to maintain a list of companies that provide IoT (Internet of Things) security tools and solutions which you can find below. Feel free to share your solutions, feedback and suggestions for securing IoT devices. Going forward, I will be updating this list continuously. Some major questions raised after the 2016 DDoS cyber attacks On DYN’s DNS Servers through IoT devices, Most important: How can we protect IoT devices from future compromises?
DDoS attacks are not new; However, DDoS attacks and other malicious attacks using IoT devices are a growing threat. As of 2019, there are more than
7 billion Update: 12 billion connected IoT devices globally, This number is growing rapidly with the explosion of the IoT industry. So then, how do you secure IoT devices?
That is part of the problem; Many IoT devices are limited to proprietary firmware updates and cannot be patched for specific security flaws. In addition, limited or non-existent UI (user interface) contributes to IoT’s lack of security.
Unlike web servers, computers, smartphones, and other security-minded Internet-connected devices, many IoT devices lack built-in security features like basic firewalls and strong passwords. This makes securing IoT devices an even more important task.
31 50 IoT Security Services and Solutions
The following list covers over 40 top IoT security services and solutions for your home, small business and enterprise. (in alphabetical order)
1 – 10
- allotted – Protect IoT infrastructure and enterprise customers.
- unarmed – Agentless IoT security solution for the enterprise.
- atonymy – Blockchain-based security solution to protect the Internet of Things.
- AWS IoT Device Defender – Security management for IoT devices.
- IoT. for Azure Defender – Asset discovery, vulnerability management and threat detection for IoT devices.
- Bastille – Senses, detects and localizes radio/cellular threats to mitigate them.
- seed – Protect against new and growing IoT vulnerabilities.
- bitdefender box – Protect your entire home network and IoT devices. [home]
- Blackberry – Security software services.
- bullguard protection of things – Protects IoT connected devices. [home and Biz]
11 – 20
- centers – Provides advanced protection for the Internet of Things.
- cisco cyber vision Cyber security solutions for the Internet of Things.
- Cisco IoT Security – Internet of Things (IoT) security services.
- cortex expanse – A constantly updated view of all Internet-connected properties.
- Whose – The next generation of network security.
- Excited – Automated protection and risk reduction for each healthcare IoT device.
- assign – IoT security for e-commerce and public infrastructure applications.
- f-safe – Detection and response solutions and world class security services. [home and Biz]
- forescout – A complete portfolio of things to secure your venture.
- not fortinet – Security for networks with IoT.
21 – 30
- Google Cloud IoT Core – Securely connect, manage and ingest data from globally dispersed devices.
- IoT Security Foundation – Collaborative, vendor-neutral, international initiatives in IoT. [development]
- jfrog – Established to change the face of IoT security and compliance. [development]
- Kudelski-IoT – Flexible IoT security that is easy to integrate and operate.
- mbed os – Free, open-source IoT operating system. [development]
- McAfee Embedded Controls – Modern defense for the equipment you rely on.
- mokana – Develops mobile application security (MAP) app-shielding solutions. [mobile]
- nanolock – Cloud-to-Flash security and management for IoT devices.
- overwatch – Security for the Internet of Things via Threatwatch.
- Palo Alto Networks – AI-powered IoT Guardian. Cost effective cloud-based solution for IoT.
31 – 40
- praetorian – Internet of Things (IoT) security testing and evaluation services.
- rapid7 – Identify risks and implement solutions to mitigate IoT security issues.
- Rambus Crypto Manager – Creates a reliable route for the SoC manufacturing supply chain.
- Rack911 Labs – Routine security auditing for IoT.
- red balloon security – Security provider for embedded devices across all industries.
- puzzle and code – Blockchain-specific HW that can sit on any IoT device. [development]
- Sam – Deals with cyber security threats by securing network gateways. [home and Biz]
- secure things – Security solutions for the emerging industrial Internet of Things.
- securethings – Real-time protection for IoT solutions.
- sensorhound – Improves the reliability and security of IoT.
41 – 50
- follow up labs – Security for IoT and embedded systems.
- sternum IoT – Autonomous security and observation platform.
- subex – IoT security coverage from real-time monitoring to response and recovery.
- IoT. for Symantec – Enterprise-ready solutions for securing IoT devices.
- Tempered – Provides secure connectivity solutions for IoT.
- trustwave – Secures everyday items connected to your company’s network.
- Please verify – Security solutions for wireless sensors, smart grids, NFC, RFID, etc.
- webroot – real time protection. [home and Biz]
- WISeKey – Global cyber security company.
- zimbit – Works with IoT developers and OEMs to build trust in devices.
The need for better IoT security is everywhere, from increasing the safety and security of public transportation, automobiles and homes to protecting manufacturing, communications and consumer devices.
IoT platforms suffer from fragmentation, lack of interoperability or common technical standards. The diversity of these billions of IoT devices, in terms of hardware and software variations, makes the task of developing applications that work securely between different incompatible technology ecosystems difficult!
As such, think of IoT devices as toddlers; When it comes to security, they need parenting and protection. IoT security tools protect against threats and breaches, identify and monitor risks, and help fix/patch vulnerabilities.
In the coming weeks, I will continue to expand the above list. Many thanks for your suggestions and feedback!
Published: July 16, 2019
Last Updated: October 25, 2021