Are you looking for the best Linux distro (distribution) for your desktop computer or laptop to carry in 2022? This article will guide you about the best Linux distros for beginners, experienced and expert users. Whether you are a power user or just getting your feet wet, there are really specific Linux distros best suited for you.
My Best Linux Distro 2022 – Pop!_OS + Pop Shell
My Current Best Linux Distro for 2022 = Pop!_OS + Pop Shell
Another screenshot of my current best Linux distro = pop!_os + pop shell
My Of earlier Best Linux Distro (and Window Manager) of 2021 = Manjaro i3.
The first rule to remember here is that the “best Linux distro” will be Me” ,
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS 2021 Date: Manjaro i3 2022 Update: Pop!_OS + Pop Shell, But also for “best Linux distro” You.” What you consider to be the best Linux distro now will often change over time to match your experience level and other changing factors. That’s why I update this post several times every year.
With that in mind, let’s start breaking down the hunt. Yours Best Linux Distro in three categories:
Beginners, experienced and experts. (newly listed green,
Best Linux Distros for Beginners
For users who want quick access to Linux and a wide range of software/apps without using the command line. Or, maybe you’re just looking for an easier way to try out Linux. For those users, I recommend:
- Manjaro – A user-friendly, desktop-oriented operating system based on Arch Linux. Key features include an intuitive installation process, automatic hardware detection, stationary rolling-release model, Ability to install multiple kernels, specialized bash scripts for managing graphics drivers, and extensive desktop configuration capability. (see screenshot above)
- Ubuntu – A full desktop Linux operating system, freely available with Largest community support of any distro, Ubuntu provides a beginner-friendly download page with large text, highlighting the most important things for new users, such as system requirements, Live USB guides, and how to switch from Windows or Mac.
- pop!_os – Another Ubuntu-based Linux distribution with a custom GNOME desktop. System76, a Linux computer retailer, develops this Linux distro. Pop! _OS makes this list because they have gone out of their way to make sure this distro is beginner friendly Proposal 100’s Informative Videos And a Growing list of help articles, (see screenshot above)
- Linux Mint – An Ubuntu-based distribution that aims to provide A complete out-of-the-box experience By including browser plugins, media codecs, support for DVD playback, Java, and other components. It also adds custom desktop options and menus, several unique configuration tools, and a web-based package installation interface. Linux Mint is compatible with the Ubuntu software repository.
Best Linux Distros for Experienced Users
The following distros are very similar to the ones above. However, the default install doesn’t include as much bloat. This requires a bit more optimization and research. It should not be difficult or frustrating, but rather satisfying.
- fedora – (formerly Fedora Core) is a Linux distribution developed by the community supported Fedora Project. An upstream source of the commercial Red Hat Enterprise Linux distribution. Fedora has free and open-source licensed software packages and aims to be at the leading edge of technologies, working closely with the upstream Linux communities. The Fedora Project also distributes custom variations of Fedora called Fedora ‘spins’ for gaming, security, design, scientific computing, robotics, etc. Fedora’s short version life cycle means that package updates happen frequently., This can be intimidating for some people or satisfying for others who enjoy using the latest software.
- Debian – Of course, the common thing that people need is application software. Debian gives you easy access to these without having to pre-install them. Comes with Debian Over 60,000 packages (Pre-compiled software that is bundled in a friendly format for easy installation on your machine) – It’s all free. Add some challenge, install debian test or debian sid.
- openSUSE The openSUSE project has three main goals: to make openSUSE the most accessible Linux to anyone and the most widely used Linux distribution; Leverage open source collaboration to make openSUSE the world’s most useful Linux distribution and desktop environment for new and experienced Linux users; Dramatically simplifies and opens up development and packaging processes to make openSUSE the platform of choice for Linux developers and software vendors. openSUSE also now offers tumbleweed rolling release Delivery
- In college – A relatively new Linux distribution built from scratch. solace a very focused approach For desktop versions: Solus Budgie, Solus Gnome, Solus Plasma, and Solus Mate. he said, his Budgie Desktop has grown rapidly in popularity and One of the best desktop environments You will have the opportunity to boot.
Notable Mentions: AntiX – A fast, lightweight and easy-to-install Linux distro.
Best Linux Distros for Experts
The following distributions focus on being lighter, simpler, and yet more flexible than most. From the install process itself, you’ll notice that these distros will only install what you explicitly order them for.
- Arch Linux – An independently developed Linux distribution targeted at competent Linux users. it uses pacmanits in-house package manager, to update the latest software application with full dependency tracking. Arch can be installed from a CD image or via an FTP server running on a rolling release system. Default installs provide a solid foundation that enables users to create custom installations. The Arch Build System (ABS) provides a way to easily build new packages, modify the configuration of stock packages, and share these packages with other users via the Arch Linux user repository. (also used Arch for a while, see screenshot above)
- Gentoo – A versatile and fast Linux distribution geared towards developers and network professionals. Gentoo Linux has one Advanced package management system called Portage, Unlike binary software distributions, source code is compiled locally according to user preferences and is often optimized for a specific computer type. The name was chosen to reflect the possible speed improvements of machine-specific optimizations, a key feature of Gentoo. Gentoo package management is designed to be modular, portable, easy to maintain, and flexible.
- Slackware – An advanced Linux operating system designed with the twin goals of ease of use and stability as top priorities. While maintaining the spirit of tradition, including the latest popular software, Slackware brings the best of all worlds to the table, while providing flexibility and power as well as simplicity and ease of use. Originally developed in 1991Linux operating system like UNIX now benefits from contributions from millions of users and developers around the world. Slackware Linux provides new and experienced users alike with a fully featured system, equipped to serve in any capacity from desktop workstations to machine-room servers. Web, FTP and email servers are ready to go out of the box, as are the wide selection of popular desktop environments. Contains a full range of development tools, editors, and current libraries for users who wish to develop or compile additional software.
- If low-end hardware specs hinder you, try the following lightweight Linux distros: Lubuntu, EndeavorOSAnd Linux Lite,
- Kali Linux Stripped Installation – A debian-based Rolling release distribution without penetration testing equipment. It offers timely security updates, supports the ARM architecture, has a choice of four popular desktop environments, and offers seamless upgrades via rolling releases. Kali Linux is ready to meet the requirements of professional penetration testing and security auditing.
Due to the nature of the security audit, Kali Linux will, by default, be installed with a “single, root user”. …not recommended.Update: Kali Linux now defaults to non-root installs. As such, I’ve moved this distro above the bonus section because this setup has always been one of my favorites. Now Kali has just defaulted to the non-root install process. salute them! If you are installing Kali for penetration testing, check their website. However, if you want to do an alternate install then does not install with root login and(no longer by default) and does not install penetration testing tools, try this custom install without root a rolling release debian Managed by Kali.
Notable Mentions: Linux from scratch – Not a distro, but a challenging project that provides you with step-by-step instructions to build your own custom Linux system entirely from source code.
I hope this quick guide for beginners proves helpful. Most distro details go directly to . are from distrowatch – A handy website for your research. Arch and Ubuntu Screenshots /r/unixporn, What’s Your Pick for the Best Linux Distro? Related reading: Best Linux Server Distribution.